Sunday, April 11, 2010

My first ever blog!

First off, if you are reading this, I would like to say welcome to my 'creative corner'. In this little corner of the interwebs I am going to keep a record of some of the things I enjoy doing: from making clothes, household items and toys, to my attempts at gardening, making chutneys, jams, cordials and other wonderful things.

I have been crafting for a little while now. Ever since my sisters and I were little, my Mum has been encouraging us to do crafty things. I remember making cards for birthdays and gum nuts with eyes on them :) My Mum is very talented herself when it comes to being creative. She taught herself how to sew, and since we were children she has been making us clothes. From cute frilly dresses when we were kids to wedding and bridesmaids dresses now that we are adults.

Actually, now that I think about it, a lot of people in my family are very creative and talented when it comes to sewing and other creative pursuits. This means two things. First, it means that there is always someone around to answer my questions and to find inspiration from. Secondly, it means that I never quite feel like I'm very good at what I do because there is always someone better than me :). But this is not such a bad thing, because there is always more to learn.

I really enjoy sewing and have been learning for a few years now. I have started sewing a bit more independently of late, especially now that I can sew a lapped zip without any assistance :) This year I am going to attempt to make my first quilt, and curtains for our house. I am also making a dress for my youngest sister's wedding in June and hopefully some more stuffed animals :)


No comments:

Post a Comment