It has now been about 2 weeks since I told you about our plans to experiment with olives before deciding to spend money buying trees. Well the verdict is... this weekend we went to the garden shop and bought 2 different types of olive trees. :)
Only one of the three different methods (the sultana olives) worked out, but it was definitely worth the wait. They tasted great unseasoned, and even better when seasoned with oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh garlic and lemon juice. They were amazing! I was surprised that I could make something so nice. They were so nice in fact that I rang up the olive tree owner in South Arm and asked if we could come and pick some more olives. Thankfully she said yes, so we made the trip out there on Saturday and picked us about 2kg of olives. I can't wait till they are ready to eat! YUM.
Like I mentioned, the two green olive batches didn't work out so well. By 14 days the green olives that were in salt water actually tasted quite nice, but this was before I noticed that something unpleasant had grown around the outside edges that weren't submerged. I didn't want to cause a major food poisoning incident, so they ended up in the bin. Don't worry though, I have a super strong immune system :). I think I might actually try that way of brining again. However, I will just make sure I keep the outside edges nice and clean, or use more salt.
The other batch of green olives just in plain water was super mouldy. There were spores everywhere. I'm not sure how to make this method work.
Anyway, I am just glad one batch worked out so well :)
Now, we just need to start planting an olive orchard...