Saturday, December 1, 2012

A Month Of A To Z....Advent.

Today is the first day of December, and as I was browsing through my list of blogs that I read in Google Reader I found this exciting little challenge run by JustB. For the next month I will post something everyday (ideally) starting with each letter of the alphabet. It might be a photo, a blog post, an idea...whatever I want. On December 1st I have to post something beginning with 'A', on the 2nd something beginning with 'B' and so on. I am a bit excited about this as I figure this will be a lovely little challenge that will get me back into posting on a regular basis.

So to start with... A is for Advent.

I still haven't quite finished my advent calendar from last year but I am definitely excited about how it is looking. I only have the binding to go now and it will be finished :).




In my advent calendar this year I will have little explanations and bible verses that tell of Christ, his coming, and the importance of it in relation to the promises God made long ago. I don't think Nicholas is going to really understand what I read to him, but it is a good introduction nonetheless.

I was going to find a bunch of verses and write up explanations myself but a friend linked to this wonderful blog and resource on her facebook page, so for this year at least I will be using this well thought up and biblical guide to developing my child's understanding of Christmas.

Here is today's entry from Part of the Main: 

"Day 1: The (Empty) Stable: Waiting for Jesus Then and Now 

Right now we are beginning the season of Advent. At the end of Advent is Christmas. The word “advent” means “coming.” It is the season when we remember the coming of Jesus Christ, God’s only son, into the world. Have you ever waited for something for a long time? God’s people had been waiting for a very long time for God to send a Savior to them and keep all of his promises. That Savior was Jesus–who was born long ago in a stable in Bethlehem. The baby Jesus would grow up to save all of God’s people. Yet that is not all of the good news. It was God’s plan to send Jesus to the world twice. He came long ago and he is coming back again. Like the people of Israel, we are waiting for him to come. 

Jesus, thank you for coming down into our world! As we learn about your coming help us to see what you have done for us. Help us to be ready for you to come again. Amen. 

Bible Readings: Psalm 130; 1 Thessalonians 4:15-18"

Psalm 130

A song of ascents.
Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord;
    Lord, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive
    to my cry for mercy.
If you, Lord, kept a record of sins,
    Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness,
    so that we can, with reverence, serve you.
I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits,
    and in his word I put my hope.
I wait for the Lord
    more than watchmen wait for the morning,
    more than watchmen wait for the morning.
Israel, put your hope in the Lord,
    for with the Lord is unfailing love
    and with him is full redemption.
He himself will redeem Israel
    from all their sins.

1 Thessalonians 4:15-18

15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.



 http://meetmeatmikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/a-month-of.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment