Friday, December 14, 2012

N is for Naptime

I love nap time. I love it when Nicholas naps and I get to do my own thing for a little bit or even get to have a nap myself, especially as I become more pregnant.  I think that it is super beneficial to my mental health and Nicholas' if we both get to have time away from each other during the day. This down time is not only for my sanity and well-being but it also gives Nicholas the opportunity to either rest or have some time to process the events of the day so far. He doesn't need, by his side, directing him all the time.

I was so hoping to have a rest myself today after such a busy week but after having a sleep in the car in the car and failing to transfer him, this sadly did not happen. I sometimes feel resentful when Nicholas doesn't go to sleep during the day, or at night for that matter. I try really hard not to be but it is difficult because it often means I then have to go the entire day without any time to myself.

To help me understand better why he might not sleep during the day I often try to put myself in his shoes. Today for instance, the reason for not sleeping was pretty clear. We had a busy morning, left my friends place too late and had a half-hour car trip home. There was no way he was going to be able to stay awake in the car. Usually though transferring him is quite successful, but today once he was awake he just did not want to go back to sleep. I did leave him awake in his cot (he was just talking and saying 'mum mum' and 'dad dad') and lie down for about 20mins which helped, but it still wasn't as restful as it would have been because he was talking the entire time. I should be grateful though for small mercies such as these. I should also try not to complain so much. All I can do is optimistically hope that...tomorrow will be better :).

This is Nicholas napping with tiger. He loves that little furry animal. I am actually thinking of buying another one, just in case we lose this one. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment